Sunday, January 3, 2010

RESILIENCE


Resilience: Reflections on the Burdens and Gifts of Facing Life's Adversities
by Elizabeth Edwards

In her book, Elizabeth Edwards so eloquently and gracefully shares her life with the reader. There is of course an emphasis on her personal trials; the loss of her son, her cancers and her husband's infidelity. But now I can understand why she had a stalker-fan that idolized her so. She is real woman, she is authentic, wise, sensitive, caring, honest, obviously well educated and quite literate. I loved this book for her expressive telling of a path she had to walk. It was from a happy and full life to a depressive paralysis she had to endure. She touched me deeply. She triumphed, even as she learns to let go of her life any time sooner or not so soon. She is my inspiration.
My favorite quote in which she shares her thoughts after some one asks her if is she getting over the loss of her son; If I had lost a leg, would anyone ask me, have I have gotten over the loss of my leg? No, they would ask me if I am adjusting to the loss of my leg. One learns to adjust to life, no one gets over the loss of her child.

No comments:

Post a Comment