Saturday, January 30, 2010

AN UNDESERVING NON CLIENT

I am not sure where he came from, but he will not take a deal. He will not take a gift, he wants better and more with out cost. He phoned a month ago in a rush, told me what he wanted to basically create and asked me to use my expertise in designing it. I was thrilled to design for a nice family of five especially the pantry and make it all efficient for them. Then back and forth; why did I not do this, why is this like this, why does your competetor do it this way for less money. Well there is not a competitor here because we are a custom cabinet shop and the other company is a custom, which module do you want store. Then I pull in my collegues to help me, thinking I am not doing a service here, but there we go around and around again. We all gave him a very good design with great beautiful decorative elements and he really does not want it. I don't know what he wants at this point. I know when I traveled the middle east in Arab counties, these men loved to haggle, I did not like to. I am a designer for excellence not for bidding. Well, yes he is of the handsome Arab background but he cannot finalize his little bidding engagement. So it has become a l0ose l0ose scenario and he did not even allow me to be generous upon commitment or completion. He was worried about his clothing falling over to the sides and I wanted to surprise him as a gift of these small lucite stands that hold sweaters in place. Now I am super behind in my work and I won't have time to be generous to or for him. Oh well, life must go on and I wish to be of service with my other delightful and appreciative clients.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you truly can't win. I try to listen to my gut when I first meet someone. If my gut says RUN, I try to listen. When I don't, I always regret it!

    ReplyDelete