Saturday, February 13, 2010

SWEET STORY



The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger


I had a really hard time getting into it, I thought it was silly. I also did not like the idea that this man being older was meeting this young girl in a private meadow and waiting for her to turn 18 to have intimacies. It felt bad and I did not want to read anymore at this point. But it had been promised by the media to be a good story and subsequently had become a best seller, so I plunged on in hopes that I would soon become captivating. As well it certainly did. The back forth time traveler led to thoughts of some interesting concepts of life. What if we already did time traveling and is this what is means to be in sync with certain friends and lovers as well as perhaps because these friends and lovers were from another time of ours? Perhaps our memories were just out of sync or in. Niffenegger certainly is a fine writer; creative, provocative, easy to read and I loved her language of words. Especially the words that came out of the mouth of Henry, the main time traveler. I loved his memories, they were melodies of musical lyrics. Now I shall look forward to enjoying the movie soon.

1 comment: